Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bounce in your Barnet - the Baking soda and Vinegar method

If this sounds like a mad idea, I hear you, but take it from yours truly, it works!



I noticed in the last few weeks that my hair was greasy on top, and dry at the ends. Normally I would have a bit of a bounce in my tresses, but for the past few weeks they've been lank and dull. I nearly dislocated my shoulder backcombing to get volume and sprayed many a lotion and potion onto my roots to lift them, all to no avail. I was at my "splits" end

Then I remembered a baking soda and vinegar rinse that I heard of many moons ago. I researched it on the old laptop-aroony, and found mixed results, some people loved it, some loathed it.

I thought it really worked a treat, once I got over the weird sensation of not having a traditional foaming shampoo! Once my hair was dry it felt lighter, they're was definitely more volume and it looked brighter too.....yippee! No more heavy roots!

The one thing I did notice however, was that my longer lengths were a little more difficult to blowdry and not as soft, but I added a lil' Morrocan oil to those babies and they were soft as silk after, and there wasn't even a vinegar smell after rinsing it out! Delira :)

But how does this home hair clarifying work?

Flashback  to my Leaving Cert Chemistry class.....somebody pass me my "science" glasses....






Baking soda is a base (alkaline), and vinegar is an acid. These two cancel each other out when put together, and creates a cool volcano! But it also creates water with a PH value of 7, the same as our skin. With me so far???

Did you know that shampoos is also a base, and conditioner an acid, they are very weak, but that is why they work so well together. However, shampoos and conditioners can also have added chemicals, for colour care, volume boost or clearing dandruff. It's these left behind chemicals that make our hair lank and dull :(


So like shampoo and conditioner working together, so also does baking soda and vinegar as it re-balances our scalps PH, and as the reaction occurs, it removes the build up of products on our scalp and in our hair.

The baking soda removes the build-up because it is like a really strong shampoo without the foam. The vinegar, as an acid, acts like a conditioner, smoothing the hair follicle, and closing the pores on the hair strands.

The method is the exact same as regular shampoo and conditioner. I just put two tablespoons of baking powder in an old shampoo bottle and fill with water, and then two tablespoons of vinegar in a conditioner bottle, and hey presto, my own hair clarifying set ready to use once a week!

Here is another "recipe" to make your own hair clarifying set!.Try it out and let me know if it works for you.

Best of luck with your new bouncy barnet.....



As always girls, if you have any questions or comments, post them here! And now F.A.S.H. is writing for the Wexfordian magazine, check it out here

Follow on Facebook and Twitter for extra news and updates!

Le GrĂ¡,

F.A.S.H


2 comments:

  1. that's gas! love this! will subscribe now!

    http://bellefbeauty.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Filomena :) It really works too, hope you get the bounce your looking for :) F.A.S.H

      Delete